Saturday, September 11, 2010

Every little thing is gonna be alright...


It’s funny how every fall we return to school to further our education, but many of us find ourselves learning more than just formulas and theorems we will never use in real life, or how to be more grammatically correct, big vocabulary words we will never remember when second semester rolls around, or dates that seem completely irrelevant to the rest of our lives. Often times, we learn lessons about life as well. My freshman year of college I definitely learned a lot.

I learned how to take care of myself without the help of my parents.
I learned how to be more responsible and how to take care of business.
I learned how to handle myself in certain situations, and I learned to be more comfortable with myself.
I learned that I don’t need to be “cool” to be happy, that getting drunk every night of my life wouldn’t make people like me more.  Actually, I learned that getting that drunk all the time doesn’t make you cool at all, the only thing it does is scream out “freshman”.
Most importantly, I learned that the world doesn’t revolve around me. And once I learned this, I in turn learned to care for others and not just myself.

But was this a mistake?

While learning to care for others is a great quality to have, but where do you draw the line? Is it still a great thing when you care so much about the feelings of others that your needs are no longer a priority? Is it okay to let people walk all over you, if it is in their best interest?  Is it acceptable to put people as a priority that leave you as second place or even a last resort? It seems that I now care so much about the thoughts of other people, that I often forget what makes me, me. And that’s not fair.

I’m not blaming anyone for this other than myself. A tend to have an “all or nothing” personality, and if I am going to do something, I put my whole heart into it. And in this process, I forget other things that are important to me.

So as fall rolls around once again, I find myself learning a new lesson. Maybe there can be a balance between doing for others, and doing for myself as well. And maybe, in making myself more of a priority, I can learn to fully appreciate others around me as well.

love to all (and more to myself)
demariee

No comments:

Post a Comment